What does it really take to be a successful player? What do all great soccer players have in common? Depending on your level as a player, you'll notice a great player's ability to make any movement with the ball, their quick decision making, and how each play seems effortless. As you progress in the game and learn more about what it takes to be a complete player, and strong athlete, you will notice more elements of success coming into play.
You'll see a successful player recovering from a mistake or injury, you'll see them supporting their teammates, and you'll see them making sacrifices in their lives to better themselves on and off the field. So what does it really take to be a great player? What do all great soccer players have in common?
- Technical skills. Technical skills are the foundation of any successful soccer player. These skills include dribbling, passing, receiving, shooting, and juggling. The best players in the world, like Lionel Messi and Alexa Putellas, possess exceptional technical skills that allow them to dominate on the field. These skills are honed through practice and repetition, and the most successful players never stop working on them. There are no secrets to which skills you need to practice regularly to be a great soccer player. The Techne App makes it easy for any player to train regularly to improve these skills, without a coach or much equipment needed.
- Physical fitness. Soccer is a physically demanding sport that requires players to be in top physical shape. Endurance, speed, agility, and strength are all important attributes that successful soccer players possess. You must be able to run for 90 minutes or more while maintaining your speed and agility, as well as having the strength to compete for the ball and win challenges. Have a great base of physical fitness can also help you prevent injuries and help you absorb more of a training load. Both of these will allow you to train and play more consistently, allowing for consistency and maximal improvement.
- Tactical awareness. Tactical awareness is the ability to read the game and make strategic decisions on the field. Successful soccer players are always thinking ahead and anticipating the movements of opponents. You must understand your role in the team and how to make the best use of your skills to achieve the team's objectives. Tactical awareness doesn't necessarily mean you can break down the game with x's and o's. Many players have great instincts on timing and spacing that can be developed subconsciously through playing and watching the game.
- Mindset. Soccer can be a highly pressurized environment, especially at the highest level. Successful soccer players must have mental toughness to deal with the demands of the game. You must be able to remain focused and composed in high-pressure situations, as well as have the resilience to bounce back from setbacks and learn from mistakes. Many talented players give up along the way. All successful players have the mental toughness and resilience to continue to bounce back and improve, through the various ups and downs of life and sport.
- Leadership. Leadership is an essential quality of successful soccer players, especially for those who play in a captaincy role. You must be able to inspire and motivate your teammates, as well as set an example through your actions on the field. Successful soccer players are also excellent communicators who can give clear and concise instructions to teammates. Being a great leader and communicator can look different for every player. You don't have to be the loudest player on the field to be a great teammate.
- Passion. Passion is a crucial element in soccer (or any sport) because it fuels motivation, determination, and commitment. You must have a deep love for the game and a burning desire to succeed.
- Commitment. Commitment is a core quality that drives successful soccer players. You must be willing to put in the hard work and dedication required to achieve your goals, both individually and as a team. This will mean making sacrifices and continuing to always find a way to improve, regardless of outside circumstances.
By developing these qualities, you can put yourself on the path to becoming the best player you can be.