Training your breathing can offer significant benefits for your physical and mental well-being. It can also help you perform better when you compete. Just like other skills in soccer, breathing techniques require practice and repetition to be available for you to take advantage of on the field.
Here are some of the benefits controlling your breathing can provide:
- Stress Reduction: Controlled and deep breathing techniques can help activate the body's relaxation response. This can reduce stress levels, calm your nervous system, and improve your overall sense of well-being. This is especially important if/when you're nervous before or during a game. This may actually cause fatigue or weakness from the stress of your nerves. Controlled breathing creates a biological response to calm your body.
- Improved Focus and Concentration: Proper breathing techniques can enhance your ability to concentrate and stay focused. By delivering more oxygen to your brain, you can think more clearly and make better decisions. When you're tired and under pressure on the field, it can be difficult to remain focused. Your breathing can help you to avoid the distractions that interfere with your focus.
- Enhanced Athletic Performance: A number of studies have verified that breath training can lead to significant improvements in athletic performance. Athletes often utilize specific breath training to optimize their performance. Proper breathing can improve endurance, stamina, and help athletes manage their energy levels during physical activity.
- Better Sleep: Breathing exercises can help you relax and prepare your body for sleep. If you have trouble falling asleep or suffer from sleep disorders like insomnia, learning how to control your breathing can promote better sleep quality. Good sleep hygiene has become a major focus of both good general health and athletic performance. Sleep is especially important for recovery if you’re training hard or have competed in a game.
- Mental Clarity and Emotional Regulation: Breathing exercises can help you gain better control over emotions and reduce impulsivity. They can be a valuable tool for managing emotions that may negatively affect performance.
Understanding and maximizing the power of breathing can be a valuable asset to your sports performance. Learn how to work with your breathing, and take advantage of the many advantages. In the Techne App we just added 4 guided breathing techniques for soccer players:
- Box Breathing to gain calm and increase your attention. Try it now >
- Blast Breathing to increase your heart rate and energy. Try it now >
- Physiological Sigh to calm down. Try it now >
- 6-1-7 Breathing to increase focus, relax your muscles, and slow your heart rate. Try it now >